September 29th, 2016
When it comes to choosing a new warehouse, although cost might seem of utmost important, there are many other things that have to be considered – such as location! There are many things to think about when trying to determine what the best location is and here are some top tips for all who are thinking about relocating:
- In many cases when looking for warehouses, you will notice that warehouses in remote locations are often a lot cheaper – but you need to remember that this is because of a number of things such as shortage of skilled and trainable workers within travelling distance. It is always best to opt for a warehouse in an area that has a good supply of workers whom can assist in supporting your warehouse operations, such as warehouses to let in Yorkshire or any other places with links to high-density residential areas and public transport.
- You need to look at the layout of the warehouse, as this will determine how operations will run going forward inside. Older buildings can often lack what is needed for the modern material flow; however this is not always the case so it is always worth looking.
- You need to think about what your requirements are going to be in the near future. You also need to consider noise levels, outdoor storage if needed and emissions.
- Another factor to consider in a warehouse is material handling capabilities; do you need depressed docks or internal docks? Is there going to be enough turning space for trucks and material handling equipment also?
- You need to think about your customers. If you export the bulk of your products by sea, with others being delivered to inland retail locations – railway and easy highway access could be key. A lot of costs are form transportation so you want to minimise this as much as possible.
These are only some of the things to consider too, if you really want to ensure that you get the best warehouse for your business, we recommend signing up with a great estate agent today whom will be able to listen to your individual needs and requirement thoroughly and then have a look around for you, informing you about warehouses which they deem suitable for you, and informing you when new warehouses in your chosen locations become available.